Friday, July 22, 2011

bicycle built for two

Yesterday I underwent what had to be one of the most painful ordeals I have gone through with my children. I attempted to teach the twins how to ride their bikes. Now before I go any further, I need to explain that this wasn't the first time I have tried to do this. I have been trying to get them rolling for about two years. And this isn't just a simple case of let's take off the training wheels. Even with training wheels the girls were afraid to ride their bikes. So last year I said to hell with the training wheels, and got them new bikes, sans training wheels, and set about trying to get them riding them. After several afternoons at the park I gave up, mostly because I thought I was going to have a heart attack from the combination of running back and forth across the field over and over again with both the girls, and from the extreme level of frustration I was experiencing at their total resistance to try to learn. I mean, I nearly picked up both bikes and chucked them into the forest. But somehow I hung on to my sanity, which was severely shredded at that point, and instead I decided to just put the bikes away for another year. So when this summer started, Kate announced that she was going to learn how to ride her bike, and I was highly encouraged to try again. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. Kate's version of trying again turned out to consist of her sitting on her bike, inching it forward with her feet on the ground, and then after a few minutes getting off and declaring she was done for the day. She refused to let me near her, which of course made it impossible for me to do what needed to be done - hold on to the seat, run with her to get her rolling and then let go. And then there was Emily. She actually did let me do the run and let go, which was followed by her screaming and falling off her bike and bashing up her elbow, after which she refused to go near her bike again, and said she would be quite happy just riding her scooter forever. Now please understand, I have attempted to take out as many "scary" elements of bike riding for them as I can. They are wearing helmuts, which seems somewhat ridiculous as they move faster walking than they do on their bikes. I am teaching them at the park, so they are either on grass, which may be softer to land upon when they fall, but is much harder to actually ride on in my opinion, or they are on the sandy baseline of the baseball field. But they have continued to be stalwart in their mutual terror. This is a big part of the problem I'm sure, because I just don't get that terror. My inability to patiently teach my children surely stems from the fact that I taught myself to ride a bike at the age of 5 by borrowing a friends bike, parking it at the top of a steep road in our apartment complex, and racing down it over and over again until I felt I had mastered the art of bike riding. Whereupon I announced to my parents that I would like a bike of my own, and they found me one that didn't have any brakes, so I just put my feet down whenever I felt the need to stop. Since we lived at the top of a steep hill, I wore out the soles of my shoes pretty fast, but other than that I thought my bike was pretty great. I have had something of a love affair ever since with bikes, so I couldn't wait for my girls to get rolling with me. Elizabeth was first, and it was a piece of cake. She was five when I took her to the park the first time. After some basic instructions - look straight ahead and don't stop pedaling - I took off running with her and let go. She rode for a ways, fell off, got back up and got back on the bike and took off on her own. And that was that. Now I realize that I attributed much of her ability to learn to my own amazing abilities as a teacher, which of course was completely delusional of me. She would have learned with or without me I suspect. The twins however are a completely different kettle of fish.
So yesterday I was looking to kill some time after lunch, and it occurred to me we could try the bike thing again. Then I thought, what am I, a total sucker for punishment? But no, this is my job as a parent, right? A rite of passage that I must endure with my children, right? As I worked on talking myself into giving it one more shot, I suddenly recalled another rite of passage that I had endured with the girls, and quite successfully - potty training. In fact, I had the twins completely potty trained within 2 weeks of their second birthdays. And how did I do this so quickly, so effectively and at such a young age? Why I used bribery of course. I laid in a big supply of candy, and I bribed my daughters with it to get them to go on the potty. And it worked like a charm. So I thought, hey, I'm not proud. If I have to resort to bribery to get the girls on their bikes, then bribery it is. So I started loading up the bikes into the van, and then when the weeping and the wailing started I smiled and said "today girls, we are going to try something different. If you learn to ride your bikes today, I will stop at the store on the way home and I will buy you a candy of your choice. In fact, I will buy a bonus candy for whichever one of you does it first." As they thought this over - yes, they were still hesitant and mistrustful - I threw in one more offer, "AND I'll make milkshakes for everyone when we get home!" That sealed the deal.As we drove up the hill to the park, Emily piped up from the backseat, asking "Mom, did you just, what do you call it, BRIBE us to ride our bikes?" And I smiled and said, "why yes, Emily, I sure did," once again confirming to my children that yes, mommy is a crazy lady.
Anyway, we got the bikes out and I took some deep breaths and we were off. And after several runs back and forth with Emily shrieking don't let go, I don't want to, I'm scared, I gave her one big push, let go, and screamed keep pedaling, and holy artichokey, she did. Keep pedaling, that is. By now the park was full of other families, flying kites, walking dogs etc, but I was in a happy place all of my own at that moment. I probably looked like a totally deranged lunatic, leaping around woohooing at the top of my lungs as I chased after Em, and when she came to a stop with a look of wonder on her face, I grabbed her off her bike and spun her around till we both fell down laughing onto the grass. Then Elizabeth ran up and joined us too. After we all recovered, we looked around for Kate. She was way across the field sitting on her bike, glaring at us. Hmmmm. I caught my breath, and then went after twin number two. But this wasn't going to be easy. Once again she was refusing to let me give her a push. And then she started to weep as she realized that Em was going to get candy, and a bonus candy at that. Somehow I retained my composure, no easy feat in the face of such dramatic opposition, plus I was sweating like a pig and almost totally out of breath. I didn't know how much longer I could go on. So I started saying things like, hey, come on, focus on the candy, what kind of candy do you think you would like, how about licorice, a whole pack of it, or a big chocolate bar all to yourself, mmmmm, yummy, okay now just let mommy give you a little push, I won't let go, really I won't, well maybe just for a minute but you'll be fine, you can do it, just keep thinking about the candy....and then I gave her a mighty shove and let go, and watched as she froze, legs sticking straight out, screaming her head off, and coasted several yards before coming to a very undramatic stop, whereupon she put her feet down, and just looked at me. While she was deciding whether or not to be completely pissed off at me, I decided that while she didn't technically actually pedal her bike that it was close enough to count and I called it a day. "Woohoo ladies, let's go get us some candy!" I shouted at everybody, and we spent the rest of the afternoon on a comfortable sugar high, all feeling pretty pleased with ourselves. I know that this journey isn't over yet, that I still have to get one of them pedaling, but I am confident that with continued bribery and a fair amount of peer pressure we will soon all be enjoying some summer bike riding adventures together.

No comments:

Post a Comment