Friday, February 25, 2011

my job

Today is hot lunch day at school. It is only the second time this year the girls' school has had one, so it's a very big deal. They are mucho excited. In fact, it's quite amazing what they would do to not miss school today. Elizabeth is battling a cold, I know she feels way less than good yet she insisted again this morning that she felt 100% and then disappeared to the bathroom to blow and blow and blow her nose. She had a sore throat again last night, but this morning was talking away to prove how fine everything is. She is just like me. Deny deny deny that anything is wrong, until it basically clubs you over the head and forces you down for the count. It worries me, she has always been like this. She will get up in the night and actually puke, and put herself back to bed, and not bother to tell me about it till the next day. She has a huge blister that peeled off the bottom of her foot leaving a big raw patch that she has been doctoring herself when I'm not around, and I only found out about it when I caught her in the kitchen digging around in the medicine cupboard in search of a bigger bandaid. Every time something like this happens I beg her to tell me sooner next time, to let me help her, because as I explain to her, I am her mother and that is my JOB!!! And how can I do my job properly if she doesn't let me in on the little details? It really worries me, I mean, will she end up having her period for 2 years before I figure it out? Once she was old enough to shower and wash herself, it's been so much more difficult to keep up with her physical condition. I try to be very open, and ask questions and remind her - and her sisters - that I'm a girl too, and if they have a question about something to do with their body there is a very good chance that I may have the answers, and they just have to ask. I tell them that's my job, to help them with things like that. I don't mind that she wants to take care of herself, she is an independent kid and that's great, but everybody needs a little help from time to time, and I just want her to know that's it's okay to ask for it when she needs it. A lesson I had to work on myself deep into adulthood, so if I can help her figure that one out a little sooner in life maybe things will be a little easier for her!
Anyway, cold or no cold, sore foot be damned, she was as always the first person ready and heading out the door to school this morning. As she turned to head into class, I called out "hey Elizabeth, don't forget..." and she cut me off with a roll of her eyes and a smile, "yeah mom, I know, I'll call you if I don't feel well", and waved and disappeared inside.
I had to recover from that the only way I know how - I followed the twins right into school, to their cloakroom outside their door, helped them with jackets and boots, wiped their faces, gave them hugs and kisses and then peeled myself away and left the building before I embarrassed them any more than I already had. At least they are still little enough to allow me my mommy moments when I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment