Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring Break day 2

So on to Sunday. I woke up dreaming of oysters and beer - I know, I know, I guess that does seem a bit odd, but there you have it. The day was decent out, curling was over, so I commandeered the day and suggested we head to Steveston for lunch. Steveston for those of you who don't know is a local fishing community about 20 minutes from where I live (which happens to be another local fishing community) However Steveston is at the mouth of river where it meets the ocean, and has a large marina, and is pretty funky little village with some pretty serious fishing heritage. The kids enjoy it, so do we, and of course my hidden agenda is all about oysters and beer....it must be one of the first dry Sundays this year, and the cherry blossoms are out, and everyone is thinking come on spring, and so as we arrive, I can see that a lot of other people had the same idea as us, and it's going to be a busy little place in no time. I was hoping for a walk first, check out the docks, etc, but changed gears and we headed to my favorite watering hole by the marina, Shady Island. Just in time too, within minutes of arriving and being seated, both the front and back entrances were crowded with people wanting in too. The kids ate two orders of "the best chicken strips EVER!" as they called them - and they are good, none of that prepackaged crap, good old real big chunks of juicy chicken lovingly battered in their homemade italian seasoning, served up with grainy dijon mustard and home made fries. And of course Mike and I had a dozen raw oysters on the half shell, washed down with a caesar - which is a drink by the way, very Canadian, similar to a Bloody Mary, except that instead of tomato juice, it's made with Clamato juice, a patented beverage made up of tomato juice, spices and clam juice - and then yes, I had my beer, along with a big bowl of their clam chowder, ahhhhh. Now that I had my seafood etc cravings satisfied, we bundled back up and went for a walk on the docks, where the local fisherman are moored and have their latest catch displayed for sale. Plenty of shrimp and prawns, salmon too, and some tuna, some flounder, among a few other things. We didn't pick up anything today, as we still have quite a bit of fish in our freezer at home - we usually buy off the fisherman at our local dock from time to time. But always fun to look. A bit more walking about and then eventually home again. For once Sunday evening felt a bit luxurious, since I didn't have to hustle around gathering backpacks, making lunches for the next day, checking to see if there was any homework left undone, stuff like that. Instead, I settled back to watch the series finale of one of my favorite TV shows, Big Love, while the kids watched a movie downstairs. Oh yes, I didn't mention that I had rented a whack of movies to help tide us over this week. They wanted to have a "sleepover" in the basement, which never bodes well, since you know who can't usually sleep in her own bed, let alone on the pull out downstairs but what the hell. So they give a shot, and eventually I went and lay down beside Kate until she fell asleep - a matter of minutes - and so ends day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment